Sunday, March 4, 2007

This years "un-birthday" - Part 1

What a day this years “un-birthday” has turned out to be! (I used to fiercely HATE the term “un-birthday”....but now I embrace it) The past couple of days have been so overwhelming that it’s hard to know where to start. But, here we go....
Back-up to the previous weekend: I was trying to decide whether I should drive in Tuesday night and reserve a room in the city or to just drive in Wednesday early morning. I did the typical searching of prices, maps, yadda-yadda....and just didn’t follow through. A good friend, Mike Freeman, called on Sunday night (I think it was Sunday....sheesh...days just run together sometimes) and as I mentioned my frustration in deciding how to get to the city he asked if I had considered taking the train. “Uh...well...duh...no, I hadn’t even thought of that,” I said. Sure enough, that was the “ticket!” Amtrak goes through Lewistown but not early enough so I found a 5am train out of Harrisburg that would get me to New York by 8:26am (I was to be at the door for Montel’s show by 9:30am). Perfect. I reserved my ticket for the trip....no turning back now!
I realized that in order to get to Harrisburg by 4:30am (about an hour and 10 min drive...well, a bit shorter if I’m driving...lol) that I would have to get up at 2:15am! 2:15am!??? Hell, that’s usually when i get to bed! Oh well...I went to bed at 10pm but don’t know if I actually slept and actually woke up to look at the clock at 2:14am....right before the alarm went off. Weird. I was immediately wide awake....filled with anticipation! As i get to the coffee pot (mmmmmmm) I noticed a note attached to my backpack with some green stuff attached to it. “A little something for your trip”....ahhhhh....my baby taking care of me again! :-)
Off I go....in the big white bus (Ford Excursion for those who didn’t know what I drive)....silence for half the trip, just letting my mind wonder. Then, time to put on some tunes....and what better than the man that helped start this....Jimmy Buffett! How, you say, did he help start it? Well, you see, in a nutshell...we lost a most wonderful person on Nov. 14, 1991....my best friend, Jamie Parker. Jamie is who taught us friendship. Jamie is who turned us on to Jimmy Buffett. Jamie wanted Mike and I to get tattoo’s but we wouldn’t (though we did 6mos after his death) and Jamie who believed in me and convinced me I was a musician...that I had talent. I read Tales from Margaritaville...in it, Jimmy mentions The Power Of Myth by Joseph Campbell. I was never much of a fan of reading books but for some reason I wrote on a note to read The Power Of Myth....fast forward to a year and a half ago....I was on my way to Delaware to perform in a show....stayed overnite at Mike Freemans in MD...noticed an audiobook version or The power Of Myth....listened to it on the way to DE and got my eyes opened. That trail led to this one....it all connects folks...all you have to do is be aware and believe.
Back to the trip....I arrive at the station, just on time...I knew I would. Get my ticket, take a seat waiting to board and decide to write in my journal....as I reach in my bag to pull out my journal, I notice an envelope that I didn’t put there. It’s a card....from my “hun-bun.” Even better, it’s a Snoopy card (Snoopy is The MAN! well...in a manner of speaking of course). Different quotes all relating to our new way of thinking (I must admit, they were hard to read with all that “water” in my eyes...uh-um!) “Here’s to your next 200 ft.” Love, Lori.......ahhhhhhhh.......talk about “feeling” the love! Whew!
“All aboard”.....never been on a train before so this was exciting in itself. I find my seat and as we begin to depart a man begins coming down the aisle, dressed in the appropriate train attire with the hat and everything....I smile then hear “Tickets please!” Just like in the stories. OMG! Cole would have LOVED this! (my youngest is still a fanatic of Thomas The Tank Engine) I smile even more and know more smiles are coming.
Through the trip I listened to my iPod awhile, read awhile (I’m currently reading Think & Grow Rich by Napolean Hill....fabulous book...and no, it’s not just about money...it’s about sooooooo much more than that....”Don’t judge a book by it’s cover”)...and then begin to write. Some entries to my journal, some lyrics to a possible song but then I get inspired to write my observations. I decide to write down whatever pops into my head from looking out the window or whatever catches my attention. Never have I done this before and it was quite exhilarating. As I’m looking out the window writing down thoughts, I realized how lucky I am and grateful I am for the house and area that I now live in (those of you who know me know that has not always been the case....HA! It has NEVER been the case!). It was sad to see the types of places that people are living in and the community life that they are dealing with.....truly a blessing to be where I am. A friend calls to wish me Happy Un-B-day....(thank you Norma!)...my belly was tingling the closer we got to the city....my emotions and feelings were telling me this was going to be an exciting day and before I knew it we were arriving in Penn Station.
(note to self - include journal entries and observations...)
New York! It’s been awhile since I was there last. You can FEEL the energy of this city as you are approaching it and when you are walking within, it’s simply amazing. I didn’t know which way to go at first so I just figured, “Everybody’s going this way so I might as well follow them. They must know where they’re going.” I came out onto 7th Avenue and 33rd-ish Street, looked up and it was the Madison Square Garden entrance. cool. hmmmm....which way....my sense of direction is a mess....oh, street numbers going that way....ah, well look-ee there...Times Square! How exciting! The visual and audio stimulus from everything is simply incredible! And for those of you who haven’t realize yet that Apple and the iPod have become a culture, all you have to do is look at a city street! I’d swear every 4th or 5th person I saw (and remember, I’m in New York so that’s a helluva lot of people in each SECOND) had the trademark white headphones plugged into their ears. wow! And if you are doubting the soon to come iPhone, you’d better check yourself.
Anyhow...back to the adventure....(I can geek out at any moment when it comes to Apple and tech stuff)....I could’ve taken the subway but I would’ve missed this experience. 20 blocks later, I find 53rd street and then the awning for The Montel Show. I’ve made it! On time, just as i knew I would. 2 lines outside the door...didn’t know which was which so just hopped in one. Everyone was chatting excitedly about what they do, where they’re from (I heard Ohio, MD, VA, PA, NJ) and what they hope to do. Everyone was energized. Finally, they started letting us in.....checking those of us who reserved tickets and we all gathered in the waiting room.
I was enjoying a snack and some water when a man and his wife approached and asked if the seats next to me was available, I answered yes and they settled in. We began to chat a bit and found that they were from Leesport, PA, were writers, a life coach and had been living this path for some time. Small world we live in....truly.
...folks...I have to take a break....have some plans to work on and errands to run....will be back soon! There’s plenty more!
...to be continued.... :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Kevin, cool blog. After the show I went around to the front of the building and got to shake hands with Jack as he was heading for his limo. What an awesome adventure. I'm glad we dropped everything to go to NYC! I blogged a little something on my site
I have a section called SWAG Files that is mostly on 'secret' type stuff
http://robertbritt.com/SWAGFiles.htm